Sunday, July 04, 2010

The last Week



Last Saturday we packed up the kids and met Tobi and Chuma to go to baby Vinjs grave sight. It was so sad... not only his grave but hundreds of fresh abby graves spreading over the land. There wasnt much to say, there really is no hope in it, He died and the hope born with his life is gone, and sometimes that is just life. It was so sad thinking of all the dreams we had for him and the moments we couldn’t wait to share with him, are gone forever, which is so hard to except. The hardest part was when Seth put his little toy story book on the grave and I lost it thinking of all the things Seth and baby vinj were going to have share. After putting flowers and having some moments to think and cry we went to the bak of our car and had a picnic. It was a good day, and I was glad we shared it with Tobi.
Sunday we brought Tobi and chuma to arcades were tobi was meeting his new boss and would be off to Samfia a wapping 800 km from lusaka, very far from us. So we spent the morning together, then said goodbye, I was sad for Seth because he had bonded very quickly with uncle tobi and was yet again saying goodbye to an uncle (selfish I know).
Monday to Friday we were in class with the Students doing a school on the YWAm base facilitating the teaching on relationships. It was a good week in that sense. After class everyday we either went into the hardare shops to pick up supplies or were working on the house. I hope to post video and pictures of the development.
Saturday, which was yesterday we worked all day, and almost got one of the doors in, but will probably go in today, the metal door frame was a little bent... Andreas our friend from Switzerland and I started laying the red brick for the counter tops to sit on.
Today is Sunday, and we are actually at church right now, it’s been almost 2 hours and the service is still going, Seth was finding it hard to be still and quiet anymore so I am in the car with him until church is done, writing this! : )
Church here is so hard sometimes, today the pastor is preaching about God giving you what ever you ask for because he loves you, and it just doesnt go with the gospel I have experience and know. I know the Jesus that said LOVE you enemies, BLESS those who persecute you, When you gain your life you loose it, when you LOOSE your life you will find it. That our plans are not Gods plans, and our thoughts are not Gods thoughs... it just doesnt go with what he has been preahcing for 1.5 hours, the people are into it, it’a all a prosparity gospel, like christianity is 1 +1... you become a christian and you get anything you want.... nice car, pregnancy.... so what about people who dont get pregnant or don’t have a BMW! I honestly was glad for the break with Seth, I was tired of hearing Gods word twisted.
Vinj and I are still hoping to find a church home, but so far not really feeling it. Maybe we will plant a church... (anyone interested?)

We will probably be moving into the house by July 12 I would think, this is hoping!
So far it is just still settling on the base and getting the house done. Look on facebook for photos and videos, hoping to get them on there today!

I always try to remember the funny stories from the week, but I always end up forgetting! There is one the other day, vinj and I were at a big hardware store outfront, vinj went inside to buy our doors and try and get some cement, and there were three “loiterers” standing infront looking at me and the kids openly and saying quietly in Nyanja, “is it her husband, or her driver?” “no he’s her driver” ... and so one, I turned and looked at them and said “he’s my husband” also in nyanja and I told them to look at my kids! ... and they were like Oh.... pretty embarrassed, they asked if I speak Nyanja and I said yes (which isn’t really true... but they stopped talking about me and vinj)
This is unfortunately one of the things vinj was not looking forward to people not respecting him because they think he is my worker or something, but it is alot better this time with our obviously mixed kids.

Thats all for now.

Vinj will write here soon, he has been so busy working on the house though! You will hear from him at some point.

4 comments:

Karyn said...

That was sweet of Seth to share his book. I wonder how much he understood? Did he leave it there?
It is sad to think that people who need so much hope are being fed the prosperity message - you have described the incongruities well. (And I used to be an advocate of that message, so I know of what I speak).
I look forward to a post from Vinj - you know, you could write posts from home, when you are remembering the 'stories' you want to share - then publish when you are at the internet....would save you time, too.
Or, you could write emails at home and send in town.
Looks like you are making good progress on your house.
Maybe starting a new church is a good idea - wish we could be part of it!

Anonymous said...

Now that is truly funny. What surprize it must have been to see this white woman from Alberta, shutting down the gossip with Nyanga. If a black man can turn red, which the do, but you cannot see, their faces would have been red with shock and surprize. Atta girl Kath.

Kaitlyn said...

So i have not discovered how to message you on this so i decided leaving a comment was the best idea. I was at the Gmas @ years ago with Misha Maseaka and i have heard about your work in Zambia. i am interested in doing missions work, as that is what i feel God is calling me to do. if you could message me back with any oppurtunities or just words of advice that would be apreciated.
your sister in Christ Kaitlyn.

kaitlyn_jones@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

This guy is really lucky !